Our Objectives are:
“To establish and maintain a National Hiking Trail
system linking Canada’s provinces from coast to
Linking Canada’s Heritage through
walking. In establishing a foot trail across Canada,
we bring a broad spectrum of benefits to Canadians through:
- assisting in preservation of
our heritage of natural and historic places.
- encouraging fitness and healthy outdoor
exercise through hiking and walking-related recreational
activities. working with other health promoting organizations
to encourage walking, snowshoeing and cross-country
- promoting environmental awareness
of our natural surroundings and appreciation for wildlife
- advancing the National Hiking Trail
as a national icon to schools, tourism agencies and
- providing tourism opportunities to
attract Canadians and international visitors and benefit
regional and local economies.
- encouraging the growth of regional
and local hiking trails as part of the national hiking
- strengthening national ties by physical
linkage of hiking trail systems and cooperation among
supporters of the National Hiking Trail.